We’ll help you understand what to expect and give you the right resources to get started with your adventure in the sky!
What to expect:
At #FLHT, we combine the ease of expert-led private tours, with the inspiration and thrill of flying in a helicopter. And we do it all above the Finger Lakes – recently voted America’s greatest wine country and home to lush gorges, amazing waterfalls, beautiful valleys and a cultural hub of upstate New York.
The Big Day: For your flying adventure, you’ll read our information-packed emails and follow directions to our general aviation office at Ithaca Tompkins Regional Airport. Please try to arrive at least 15-20 minutes early to check in and complete paperwork. If there are weather concerns usually we’ll notify you ahead of time or the day before! Once you arrive you’ll be welcomed to our facilities and can make yourself at home in the waiting area.
Note: Due to weather, airspace, local aerial traffic and many other factors we may be running ahead or behind schedule. Your reservation time is not necessarily your flight time but secures your spot for the day. We recommend bringing snacks and using the restroom ahead of time as well.
Ready To Fly: When it’s time to get ready, one of our concierge specialists will guide you through the check-in process and complete any necessary paperwork. You’ll get a safety brief and then await your chariot. When the helicopter is ready (or has landed from a prior tour), our concierge personnel will escort you to the aircraft and wish you bon voyage!
What’s It Like?
There’s really no way to describe what it’s like to fly in a helicopter – it’s something you just have to experience first hand. From time to time we’ll be updating our social media pages to give you a peak, but there’s hardly a way to convey the pure magic that you feel hovering above the ground, soaking it all in. To that end, there are a few points below that we’ve outlined to help share more about the experience and even dispel a few myths:
- Our aircraft have premium leather and every seat is a roomy window seat
- The bubble cockpit of our R44 Raven II provides exceptional views unlike anything you could get in a fixed-wing airplane
- Because our rotor blades spin through the air ostensibly creating their own wind to fly in, we are less susceptible to turbulence. The ride is much more comfortable than in a tiny Cessna
- Flying in a light single piston helicopter means you get to sit right next to or behind your pilot, making it a more intimate and educational experience than riding in the back of an Airbus
- Every passenger gets a premium aviation headset that lets you talk amongst you and your friends as well as interact directly with the pilot. You can even listen in on air traffic control communications as you get your tour!
- Helicopters, operated properly and in favorable conditions, are extremely reliable and be flown safely just like a fixed-wing airplane. In fact, if an engine were to fail we can perform an “autorotation” which allows us to glide to the ground just like an airplane. And unlike a Cessna we can land anywhere off airport if needed!
How Do Reservations Work?
Simply follow the easy steps outlined below to get started. We recommend you read through the Essential Prep resources outlined above so that you are properly informed as you plan your exciting aerial adventure.
Gear up for the adventure of a lifetime as our preparatory emails guide you before your flight. Finally just follow our directions to our airport offices before being escorted to your personal tour helicopter!